Demonstrations related to political events in Sierra Leone are planned for the central business district of Freetown from December 29-31, 2018.
Gloucester Street, Wallace Johnson Street, Shaika Steven Street, Lamaina Sankoh Street and the State Avenue area are expected to be affected by the demonstrations. Expect traffic congestion and an increased police presence in the area to maintain order.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid the central business district during this time period.
Actions to Take:
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Keep a low profile.
o U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone
o +(232) 99100 5000
o +(232) 99905029 (after hours)
o U.S. Embassy Freetown Website
· State Department – Consular Affairs
o 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Sierra Leone Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
· Follow us on Facebook