Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Freetown (March 26, 2020)
Location: Sierra Leone (countrywide)
Event: There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Sierra Leone.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those of you seeking to depart Sierra Leone after the closure of the international airport.
The Department of State is currently not organizing an evacuation of American citizens from Sierra Leone. However, in the event that this opportunity becomes available, we are asking you to let us know now if you are interested in being contacted.
Please send an email to FreetownEvac@state.gov with the subject line “Return Travel to the U.S.” Please include the following information for each U.S. citizen member of your family or group. If minor children will be accompanied by a U.S. legal permanent resident guardian, please include this information in the e-mail:
- Full name as it appears on your passport
- Citizenship (only for Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Date of passport issuance and expiration
- Email address and contact phone number
- Current location
- Desired onward destination in the U.S.
We will contact you if a repatriation flight is being arranged and provide you with logistical information, including the cost per seat. It is important to note that these seats are traditionally offered at-charge on a first-come, first-serve basis to U.S. citizens and, space permitting, for qualifying non-citizen dependents. Private American citizens seeking to depart are required to sign a promissory note and will be billed at a later date for the cost of the flight.
Interested parties should verify that their passports and other documentation are current and valid for at least six months from today’s date.
We encourage all U.S. citizens to register in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (insert link) to assure that they receive updates from the U.S. Embassy
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Sierra Leone.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Visit the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health website for COVID information.
- U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Southridge, Hill Station
- +(232) 99 105 5000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Sierra Leone Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter