Event: 585 Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 in Sierra Leone
Location: Sierra Leone (countrywide)
On May 21, the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health confirmed 585 cases of COVID-19 in Sierra Leone.
Sierra Leone’s border closures remain in effect and commercial flight operations continue to be suspended. We do not anticipate additional repatriation flights from Sierra Leone to the United States and U.S. citizens should be prepared to remain abroad for an extended period of time. There is no confirmed date on which international commercial fights to Sierra Leone will resume. Please continue to check with commercial airlines for updated operational information.
Curfew restrictions and limits on inter-district travel remain in place. The nationwide curfew extends from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Visit the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health website for updates.
STEP Enrollment: All U.S. citizens in Sierra Leone are encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) and monitor the Embassy’s website and Facebook page for the latest available information. We will release updated information on the situation in Sierra Leone as it becomes available. For the Embassy’s most up-to-date information related to COVID-19, please visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 Information Page.
U.S. Embassy Freetown Consular Operations: The consular section is closed for routine services at this time. We remain available for emergency American Citizen Services (ACS). If you are a U.S. citizen requiring emergency assistance, please contact the ACS Unit by e-mail at email@example.com.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Sierra Leone.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Visit the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health website for COVID information.
- U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone
Southridge, Hill Station
+(232) 99 105 500
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Sierra Leone Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter