Location: Sierra Leone (countrywide)
Event: Repatriation Flight on April 10, 2020; Purchase Ticket by April 6
READ ENTIRE NOTICE
Sierra Leone has recorded its first case of COVID-19. President Bio declared a state of emergency and has convened the Government of Sierra Leone COVID-19 response team. Please monitor local media sources for information on forthcoming restrictions that will be put in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. The U.S. Embassy will send updates as information is confirmed. Rumors spread rapidly on social media. We encourage you to visit the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health website for COVID information.
The U.S Embassy in Freetown is working to facilitate a special flight through Satguru Travel Agency for U.S. citizens and those eligible to travel to or transit through the U.S. U.S visa holders are eligible to purchase tickets on this flight , but priority will be given to U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents. You must have a valid visa before purchasing a ticket. The consular section is closed for routine consular services and is not able to process visa applications at this time.
The potential flight—ASKY/Ethiopian Airways—will transit through Lomé en route to Newark, New Jersey. The flight will be tentatively scheduled to depart on Friday, April 10th. This is subject to change.
U.S. citizens who live in or seek to travel to the United States should arrange for immediate departure to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain in place for an indefinite period. Further flight cancellations and suspensions can occur with little or no warning, making availability limited and unpredictable. Your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.
Passengers will be responsible for paying for the ticket upfront, approximately $3,500. You can purchase the tickets (cash only) directly from the travel agency. You can contact Satguru at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +232 77 001 001 to make your reservation. Please purchase your tickets by Monday, April 6. You will be responsible for any arrangements or costs (lodging, onward destination or local transportation, etc.) beyond the initial destination of Newark, New Jersey. The Embassy is unable to make reservations on your behalf. You can work with the travel agency directly to book connecting flights to your destination in the U.S.
Please note that the travel agent cannot answer any questions about immigration to the U.S. or visas. These questions should be sent to the email@example.com e-mail box.
Once you purchase your ticket, the travel agency will provide you more details regarding airport transfer. Final flight confirmation will depend on the demand.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Sierra Leone.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Visit the Sierra Leone Ministry of Health website for COVID information.
- U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone
Southridge, Hill Station
+(232) 99 105 5000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Sierra Leone Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter