Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone (January 25-26, 2018)
Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following neighborhoods in Freetown, Sierra Leone:
- Freetown, Downtown
- National Electoral Commission
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on January 25 and 26, 2018 beginning at 9 a.m. On the 25th, Sierra Leone People’s Party (SLPP) will present presidential candidate, Maada Bio and on the 26th, the All People’s Congress (APC) will present presidential candidate Samura Kamara to the National Electoral Commission (NEC). Heavy crowds will result in traffic congestion in downtown Freetown and surrounding areas. Supporters could gather in areas outside the immediate vicinity of the NEC building as well.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the political rallies.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone
+(232) 99100 5000
+(232) 99905029 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444