August 30, 2021
Reconsider travel to Sierra Leone due to crime.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 Travel Health Notice for Sierra Leone due to COVID-19, indicating a low level of COVID-19 in the country. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.
Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 related restrictions and conditions in Sierra Leone.
Country Summary: Violent crimes, such as robbery and assault, occur frequently in Sierra Leone, especially in Freetown. Local police often lack the resources to deal effectively with serious criminal incidents.
If traveling outside the Freetown peninsula, make all efforts to complete your travel during daylight hours due to increased safety hazards at night. The U.S. Embassy is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens outside of Freetown at night as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling outside the capital after dark.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Sierra Leone:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as expensive watches or jewelry.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Always carry a copy of your U.S. passport and visa (if applicable). Keep original documents in a secure location.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Sierra Leone.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone
- Southridge, Hill Station
- (232) 99 105 500