New Procedures for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad

The Department of State is pleased to announce the introduction of a redesigned Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA, or Form FS-240).  The redesigned CRBA, which is an official record confirming that a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and serves as proof of citizenship, has been updated with a variety of state-of-the-art security features to help prevent fraud and identity theft.

Overseas posts will still document the citizenship of children born overseas to U.S.-citizen parents, but effective February 7, 2011, the CRBAs will be printed at our passport agencies in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and New Orleans, Louisiana, using the information provided by overseas posts.  By centralizing production and eliminating the distribution of controlled blank stock throughout the world, we will help ensure uniform quality and lessen the possibility of fraud. Additionally, the Department will no longer issue the DS-1350 Certification of Report of Birth Abroad.  Instead, the Department will simply provide new FS-240s in response to requests for additional, replacement, or amended CRBAs.

Parents of American children born abroad should obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), which is evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship, as soon as possible after the birth of the child.  Parents will have to submit proof of their citizenship and identity, the child’s local birth certificate, and other supporting documents.  Please view our hours and contact information to find out when you can apply for a CRBA.

Effective June 1, 2013, the U.S. Embassy Freetown is enforcing an appointment-only system for all non-emergency services. The appointment system allows American citizens in Sierra Leone to plan ahead and book a time to complete their required service. This reduces wait times for U.S. citizens who require non-emergency services. Due to a consistently-growing workload, the ACS section has moved to the appointment-only policy that is being followed at Embassies and Consulates worldwide.

To make an appointment, please click here. Please bring your passport or other form of photo identification to your appointment.

Apply for a CRBA by completing Form DS-2029.