Passports and Citizenship
The Consular Section in Freetown accepts applications for regular validity passports, and sends them to the U.S. for printing. Passports can usually be collected within two weeks of submission of the application. The consular section may issue limited validity passports for emergency travel – but we urge you to plan ahead. First-time passport applicants and applicants whose passports have expired or been lost or stolen must prove their citizenship and identity. US citizens who travel extensively may ask for extra visa pages. Passport applications may only be submitted during U.S. Citizen Services hours. American Citizens should ensure that the two passport-sized photographs conform to the required standard of 2×2 inches, showing full face with both ears exposed.
Note: All routine consular services at the U.S. Embassy Freetown, Sierra Leone are provided by appointment only to U.S. citizens visiting or residing in Sierra Leone. Emergency cases (such as medical emergencies, deaths or arrests involving American citizens) will still be handled on a walk-in basis during normal Embassy hours or after hours by calling the Embassy duty officer.
Steps to take BEFORE scheduling your appointment at the U.S. Embassy, Freetown Sierra Leone
1. Review our website to determine the specific service you need.
2. Ensure that all applications, Forms, and additional documents are completed correctly before you come to your appointment. The applicant can print a PDF of the form and complete it by hand, or the applicant can complete the form online on Complete Application Online (PDF 160 KB) and print it out.
3. Print your appointment confirmation letter and bring it with you to your appointment.
4. Schedule one appointment per applicant per service. For example if you have two children where each requires a passport renewal, each child must have his or her own appointment.
The U.S. Embassy schedules appointments Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., except Sierra Leonean and American holidays.
To make an appointment, please click here. Please bring your passport or other form of photo identification to your appointment.
5. Cancel your original appointment in the system if you need to change the date. In order to cancel your appointment you will need a password which you can find on your appointment confirmation letter.
6. Arrive on time for your appointment. If you are late to your appointment you may be asked to reschedule your appointment. When you arrive at the Embassy, please inform one of the guards that you are a U.S. citizen with an appointment.